Tuesday, October 16, 2012

October 16, 2012 - Bonaventure Cemetery, Jekyll Island

Locations:

Bonaventure Cemetery, Savannah
Georgia Sea Turtle Center, Jekyll Island

For those of you that have read the book or seen the film "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" you'll no doubt be familiar with the cemetery that we stopped at Tuesday morning. While not quite the same as a night-time visit, it was well worth the trip.








Before leaving the Savannah area for good we also stopped at one of the more photographed driveways, the  Wormsloe Plantation oak avenue entrance.


Oak avenue

There was one small bit of strangeness we saw leaving town. I don't know what chewy ice is and I don't think I want to know. Ice crunches. If your ice does not crunch then it's either water or something very bad has happened, quite possibly a heinous crime, in your ice.

Chewy ice, chock full of... chewy goodness...
Moving on, we visited the Georgia Sea Turtle Center; another site the rest of the family stopped at on the last trip and wanted to take me to see.


I really dig a place that doesn't just let their bathrooms be bathrooms. All over the men's room were scenes of turtle reabilitation




Eastern box turtle

Diamondback terrapin

One of the rehabilitation tanks for a turtle rescued in the wild

Babies, about the size of a silver dollar

Each turtle had info on its injury and treatment

Before leaving the island we took a walk along a boneyard beach of live oak "driftwood". This was unlike any kind of beach I've ever seen. As I approached the beach I spotted the remains of a horseshoe crab molt. I gave it a little nudge with my foot and this huge adult ghost crab scuttled out from under it. It was extremely unimpressed with me and let me put my camera right next to it to take this picture.

Adult ghost crab

Skeletons of giants

At this point in the trip I pulled out the cheesy in-camera effects...
We all scampered and climbed through the fallen forest of trees. Skittering among the branches were a few very small crabs and dock roaches- an isopod that resembles a roly-poly with longer antennae.



One of the teeny-tiny crabs that Chan caught

Goodbye, Jekyll Island!
Gallery of pictures


No comments:

Post a Comment