Wednesday, October 17, 2012

October 17, 2012 - Jacksonville Zoo

Our location: Jacksonville Zoo

Taking advantage of a discounted admission, courtesy of our North Carolina Aquarium membership we purchased the week before, we spent the entire day at the zoo! (Well, most of us did. Jake took a day off from other humans to commune with the hotel cable TV and decompress from more than a week of close-quarters living.)

I'm going to take a break from the awesome that has been me naming every single animal and plant that we've encountered. There are just too many exotic creatures to keep track of. I started out taking a picture of the name of the animals as we saw them but after I missed a handful of names I just gave up. I'm just going to hit the highlights.


Ducks in a tree. This actually happened. 

At the giraffe feeding station- giraffe on 
The bronze elephants below were equipped with actual bronze elephant patoots. That's right, elephant sphincters. This was probably more interesting for me than it should be. I took a picture of one but I haven't uploaded it. I'm kind of afraid of what it says about me that I would, in fact, photograph a bronze elephants tuckus so I could, at a later date, view said image.



In my mind, the most noble of all the mammals is the capybara, the world's largest rodent. Just look at that regal beast. Rabbits may disapprove, but the capybara calmly appraises your monkey self and finds you wanting

We are not amused
This is my new favorite bird of all time, the Inca tern. Gaze upon it's glorious mustache. Yes, a bird with a mustache. 




Here's another bathroom that wasn't just wasted space and urine cakes. The wall of this men's room contains displays of... wait for it... POOP! Different types of poo from different animals. Awesome!






Check out the muscles on this male bonobo


Red Wolf
A snake that will make you believe in dragons, a green bush viper
Many, many more picture can be seen in the full gallery. Esther and I both took a bazillion each and then whittled that done to only a million-billion.

Gallery of pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment